[VoiceOps] Future of the Traditional PSTN vs VOIP and VoLTE

Paul Timmins paul at timmins.net
Mon Dec 7 12:10:32 EST 2015

No, it won't. The rejections the other side provides are largely
optional, and in fact the FCC has issued strict guidance about the
necessary level of matching on an LSR (I want to say it's telephone
number, account number, PIN if applicable, and zipcode, but I know
there's some conditional variations on this).

Making the customer request a code from their losing carrier violates
(at least the spirit, if not the letter of) current regulations by
giving the current carrier a chance to market to an existing customer,
threaten them, or make them pay a fee or contract termination price up
front to get the code, or create undue levels of complexity on getting
the code.

Currently, you can create subscriptions against a number and force the
issue, porting the number under hostile conditions is in fact
technically possible (in fact, i've done it before, with a service
provider placing a large quantity of numbers in conflict over a
unrelated dispute, conflict expiration window can be your friend if you
use it carefully). The only person who can complain about it is the
customer themselves as long as the numbers are active, so if they're on
your side and you're certain the number is active, the losing carrier
has little recourse. Adding a step where your ability to port relies on
the good graces of the losing carrier is going to create a far worse
situation.

-Paul