[VoiceOps] Future of the Traditional PSTN vs VOIP and VoLTE

Mark R Lindsey lindsey at e-c-group.com
Mon Dec 7 16:54:07 EST 2015

The ownership of phone numbers can be published in a bitcoin-style Blockchain (a la Bitcoin, but not necessarily using the same chain). This way everybody can confirm who has rights to use the number, and no central authority "e164.arpa" needs to be trusted.

In addition to publishing the "owner" of an E.164 number, we could also publish the authorized parties for routing to that owner, and for routing from that owner.  (A bit like MX and SPF DNS records.)

For example, I might say that I'll be routing calls from my +1-229-316-0013 number outbound through Level(3) and Bandwidth, but that Bandwidth is the only legitimate path to send calls to +1-229-316-0013.