[VoiceOps] SIP 404 Not Found vs 603 Decline

Calvin Ellison calvin.ellison at voxox.com
Tue Jun 2 17:26:50 EDT 2015

In my experience, some systems will not route advance on a non-200 response
if pre-session media exists, e.g. a 183 voice reject before 603 final
response, but will route advance if there is no pre-session media. In this
context, calling parties using least-cost routing with multiple vendors
would be expected to produce one call attempt total if there is pre-session
media, and one attempt *per vendor/route* if there is no pre-session media.

If you can spare the media bandwidth and channels to provide a brief voice
reject, this may reduce the total number of attempts regardless of cause
code.

Regards,

*Calvin Ellison*
Voice Services Engineer