[VoiceOps] Which Softswitch?

Peter E peeip989 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 16:14:02 EDT 2015

I assume this was directed at me? I guess you missed the part where I said I am a fan of open source technologies.

On Jun 20, 2015, at 15:39, Peter Beckman <beckman at angryox.com> wrote:

Better not use SIP, it is an open standard.

Better not use DNS and BIND, it's both an open standard and open source.

Better not use nginx or Apache, they are both open source.

Better not use MySQL or Postgres, they are both open source.

Better not use SMTP or postfix or mailman, they use open standards and are
open source.

Oh wait, you just did, by sending this email to this list.

Your argument that open source software is not good enough for your
production environment says you know little about how the production
Internet is powered.

Amazon Web Services started with Xen and MySQL (and still use it today).
I'd say their production environment is pretty critical to much of the
Internet.

Dismissing all open source software and solutions out of hand seems to miss
the understanding about paid support and open source solutions:

   "If there is a problem, yo, I'll solve it."

Not

   "And I will wait, I will wait for you."

of proprietary closed source vendors.

"Ice Ice" Mumford Beckman