[VoiceOps] Cisco 7941 SIP

Wayne Wenthin wayne.wenthin at cascadetech.org
Wed Oct 7 12:20:00 EDT 2015

They used to.   I think that program has ended.

On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 9:12 AM, Aryn Nakaoka 808.356.2901 <
anakaoka at trinet-hi.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Aloha Tone PBX <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96YWPY9wCeU>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96YWPY9wCeU <http://youtu.be/27v2wbnFIDs>
>
> Aloha Tone (HA) High Availability <http://youtu.be/rJsr4k0RBH8>
> http://youtu.be/rJsr4k0RBH8
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  The information contained in this email and any
> attachments may be privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure.
> Any disclosure, distribution or copying of this email or any attachments by
> persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
> have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by
> replying to the message and deleting this email and any attachments from
> your system. Thank you for your cooperation.
>

> On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 6:11 AM, Aryn Nakaoka 808.356.2901 <
> anakaoka at trinet-hi.com> wrote:
>
>> You can get Polycom phones VVX 101/201 probably for less than the labor
>> hours you will lose on support, not to mention the marketing on that
>> opportunity. I'm sure management would highly consider it.
>>

>> Aryn H. K. Nakaoka
>> anakaoka at trinet-hi.com
>>
>> Direct: 808.356.2901
>> Fax : 808.356.2919
>>
>> Tri-net Solutions
>> 733 Bishop St. #1170
>> Honolulu, HI 96813
>> http://www.trinet-hi.com
>>
>> https://twitter.com/AlohaTone
>>
>> Aloha Tone PBX <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96YWPY9wCeU>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96YWPY9wCeU <http://youtu.be/27v2wbnFIDs>
>>
>> Aloha Tone (HA) High Availability <http://youtu.be/rJsr4k0RBH8>
>> http://youtu.be/rJsr4k0RBH8
>>
>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  The information contained in this email and any
>> attachments may be privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure.
>> Any disclosure, distribution or copying of this email or any attachments by
>> persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
>> have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by
>> replying to the message and deleting this email and any attachments from
>> your system. Thank you for your cooperation.
>>

>> On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 5:03 PM, Peter E <peeip989 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> You're preaching to the choir, Mark. As a company, for BYOD, we take a
>>> stance of, we'll supply the SIP credentials but we won't support the
>>> device. But anyone in an operations role knows what that really means -- do
>>> whatever it takes to get them working and happy.
>>>
>>> I'll share your comments with those that believe the opposite about BYOD
>>> and scale. It will make for an interesting debate.
>>>

>>> On Oct 6, 2015, at 22:52, Mark Lindsey <lindsey at e-c-group.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> 1. In Hosted PBX, accommodating new, non-productized devices that the
>>> customer just has to keep is the price you pay to enjoy slow growth
>>> (because the engineering effort for the customer is immense), poor
>>> reliability (because you can test much less), and an unsupportable customer
>>> deployments (because the support team isn't equipped to support this
>>> "product").
>>>
>>> 2. In Hosted PBX, the demarc is the audible voice on the speaker and the
>>> input to the microphone. Supporting random devices the customer brings you
>>> makes it impossible for you to fulfill your end of the bargain: make this
>>> voice stuff work every time for every call.
>>>
>>> 3. The best thing to do with a customer's old device is trade in credit
>>> then liquidate.
>>>
>>> 4. Cisco 79xx SIP has gone back and forth on symmetric sip signaling
>>> over the past few decades. But generally, when nat is involved, the sip
>>> phone has to do symmetric sip ports -- I.e., it must use the same port
>>> numbers for both sending sip and receiving sip. (And when carrier SBCs are
>>> involved, it needs to use the same port number for all sip transactions,
>>> not just those related to direct call control).
>>>
>>> But I remember Cisco 79xx configs having a "nat_enable" or similar flag
>>> that actually enable the symmetric sip.
>>>
>>> mailto:mark at ecg.co <mark at ecg.co>
>>> tel:+1-229-316-0013 <+1-229-316-0013> http://ecg.co/lindsey
>>>
>>> On Oct 6, 2015, at 17:10, Pete E <peeip989 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Greetings Voice Operators,
>>>

>>> We have an interesting (code word for annoying) challenge that we've
>>> never dealt with before, probably because we don't do much with Cisco
>>> phones. We have a new customer coming on who wants to keep their very old
>>> Cisco 7941 phones. They have a few offices and the phones work as expected
>>> behind an Edgemarc. However, they also have 100+ home users, and that's
>>> where the issue comes in.
>>>
>>> Apparently Cisco introduced a security "feature" where they create the
>>> session using a random high numbered port (e.g. 49123) but in the Via
>>> header, they say to respond to *private IP, port 5060*. So when the SBC
>>> sees the private address it assumes it is being NAT'd through a firewall
>>> and replies back to *public IP, port 49123*. What we're seeing is that
>>> the home router passes the response back to *private IP, port 49123*,
>>> which the phone doesn't accept (because it wants it on 5060) and the
>>> REGISTER fails.
>>>
>>> As you know most home routers are poor at handling ALG (and we've tested
>>> and found they are equally bad at handling this scenario). We (and the
>>> customer) don't want to troubleshoot 100+ individual home routers.
>>>
>>> We haven't found a way to turn off this really awesome "feature" so
>>> we're trying to find other solutions. Anyone been through this and have any
>>> suggestions?
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Pete

Wayne Wenthin
Wide Area Network Administrator
Cascade Technology Alliance (CTA North - Multnomah ESD)
Ph: 503.257.1562
wayne.wenthin at cascadetech.org
www.cascadetech.org