[VoiceOps] WiFi SIP phones recommendations

Rob Dawson rdawson at force3.com
Tue Sep 8 16:05:37 EDT 2015

>>> Really? Can this take place seamlessly mid-call? With DHCP? What about DHCP lease acquisition delay?

>>>Would such a configuration involve merely bridging all the APs onto the same LAN segment so that the same DHCP server feeds them? If so, where's the guarantee that the DHCP server will lease out the same IP address to the client?

I can't speak to other Wi-Fi phones, but the Cisco 7921G and 7925g models certainly work this way, I've deployed a bunch of then on CUCM. The assumption would be that any of the SSIDs that the phone would associate with would be on the same VLAN/IP subnet, same DHCP server, etc. That is how I have seen it deployed. Typically, when a client with an existing DHCP binding sends a request it receives the same IP address in its new lease. I believe the RFC is actually written that way.

I am also going to second (or third) DECT for this application. Spectralink has a complete line of DECT servers, repeaters, etc. but to be honest I have covered an entire floor of a commercial building with one server/base station.

Force 3

Rob Dawson
Solutions Architect

O 410-774-7153
M 571-234-2621
2151 Priest Bridge Dr. Crofton, MD 21114
Check out the new Force3.com !