[VoiceOps] 503 usage

John S. Robinson jsr at communichanic.com
Tue Dec 13 22:14:13 EST 2016

One of the issues with SIP in an ISUP world is that the SIP Status-Codes
are clumsy and inarticulate for real-world telephony.

Take a look at RFC 3398 Section 7.2.4.1
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3398#section-7.2.4.1   There you will see
all sorts of things map to 404 and 503.  Yes, there is a Reason header
which can return q.931 Cause Codes back to SIP, but most sip routing
equipment does not look that deep into a response when making the
"what-to-do-next" decision.

Generally, I want "quality" providers to use 404 /only/ for ISDN Cause
1.  For just about anything else /other than /Cause 17 I would want a
503, and then I can route advance.

Calvin E. wrote below about the difference between immediate 503 and 503
with only a few seconds ring time.   IMNSHO, after any sort of alerting
indication (18x, with or without SDP) it is generally unforgivable to to
return anything /other than/ 200 OK after a Connected indication, unless
calling side sends a Cancel, in which case the call is Abandoned, and
the appropriate response is Request Terminated.  In a real world
environment, under what conditions would "Service" suddenly be
"Unavailable" after the far end was allegedly  Alerting?    Microsoft
Lync (now Skype for Business) used to return premature "alerting"
indications to mask outrageous PDD in their systems.  That had the
bizarre effect of causing strange things like "ring tone" (or audible
ring for your AT&T types) /followed by/ busy signal.

There is another potential gotcha' especially with some of the
bottom-tier service providers.   In addition to frequency of 503
response from your providers, watch the /average /and /peak/ interval
from *100 TRYING* from a provider and 503 Service unavailable.  I have
seen some providers take up to 20 seconds to decide that they just can't
handle a call.   If a provider can't handle a call, it shouldn't take
very long for them to "figure that out."

My US$ 0.02.

John S. Robinson
Communichanic Consultants, Inc.