[VoiceOps] Recommended Website/IP monitoring tool

Rob Dawson rdawson at force3.com
Fri Feb 12 08:49:20 EST 2016

I love the idea of a roll your own probe/remote access/monitoring tools like this. I started playing with a similar idea a few years back using a Soekris. The great thing about Soekris as a platform was the fact that it had multiple interfaces. I setup two interfaces as a bridge and could insert it inline to gather traffic stats, pcaps, etc., without having to worry about setting up a span port and while still having a dedicated interface for the host.

Most of our customers were connected to us via MPLS so I had setup a script to e-mail the host IP at startup time, but I like the idea of the reverse SSH connection.

Of course, the great thing about Pi is that the cost is like 10% of the Soekris which makes it easy to justify.

Rob