[VoiceOps] Opinions on best iPhone SIP client?

Carlos Alvarez caalvarez at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 14:35:26 EST 2016

Those are good clear objectives.  Let me give you my perspective and
experience on trying this with a few dozen people...

The cost of hard phones has come down a lot.  When I last looked at the
softphone route, they were more than double today's cost.  Most of our
customers deploy the GXP-2130 as their mainstream phone, and it's downright
cheap ($70).  The cost of a softphone varies, but you're eating a
significant portion of that price anyway with some of them.

Mobility is half-solved with cell phone forwarding.  Where it falls short
is on things like showing your work CLID when calling out, or simple
extension dialing.  Presence is actually more complicated in some ways with
mobile softphones.

Battery life is really strained with a softphone running all the time.  And
we saw wild variations where a phone might die in two hours one time, then
last all day another.  Randomly, people would report the phone being so hot
it shut down.

When sitting at a desk, the facilities of a physical phone are preferable
to nearly everyone over a small phone.  Big buttons, a nice handset that
cradles better than a cell phone, a wired headset, etc.

Overall most people were happier with the simple integration of a desk
phone and cell forwarding.  The softphones were abandoned.  I'll couch that
within the fact that this was a small sample of people in only two
companies.