[VoiceOps] Call Quality Scoring?

Richard Jobson richard at teraquant.com
Tue Jul 12 06:02:09 EDT 2016

So is it safe to assume the access line is POTS/analog? If so, you have POTS from local Malaysian LEC to your network? Are you Connecting to your network via a SIP trunk? If so, you can capture the IP packets where it enters your network using Wireshark (or any other tool which captures RTP eg Palladion/OCOM) and listen to the file. Obtaining a PESQ score on your audio is not recommended but your subjective assessment will identify perhaps pkt loss versus noise on the analog POTS line.

A pkt capture monitoring  tool will only measure pkt loss & jitter . so if the impairment is being introduced on the Malaysian LEC IP network, you will measure it. But if it is a problem with the analog access line, you’ll need an audio layer measurement such as PESQ.

PESQ is an active intrusive test and involves sending a very clean audio file into the system under test (ie network ) and receiving at other end and comparing that with the original signal using a proprietary software algorithm (PESQ). This can be automated with something like Malden . and in the case of Malden, measured accurately. This will give you a number. Ie a MOS number which you can communicate to the Malaysian LEC and show them how bad it is in quantitative terms and also ow often/time of day etc. Malden will also give you analysis on the cause of the problem

Lets know if we can be of further help

Thanks

Richard Jobson
Teraquant Corporation
ph: 719 488 1003 ext 101
www.teraquant.com
Info at teraquant.com

On 7/11/16, 4:05 PM, "VoiceOps on behalf of jungle Boogie" <voiceops-bounces at voiceops.org on behalf of jungleboogie0 at gmail.com> wrote:

On 11 July 2016 at 13:38,  <mgraves at mstvp.com> wrote:
> This may be a silly question.....is there any way that I can get a MOS or
> PESQ score for a call?

See this blog:
https://txlab.wordpress.com/2015/06/02/quality-assurance-for-voip-calls-2/

And this: