[VoiceOps] G.729 A/B Experiences

Robert Johnson robert.j at bendtel.com
Mon Mar 14 14:35:09 EDT 2016

On 03/11/2016 07:02 PM, Calvin Ellison wrote:
> ​Could you put their voice on wires (POTS/PRI/VoIP), and the rest of
> their data on fixed wireless?
> This doesn't necessarily give you any more calls per Kbps, but at least
> keeps voice and data independent. Wires for dependability, radio waves
> for bandwidth at the cost of some latency & packet loss.

There are a number of situations in which we do just this, but in doing
so, and depending on the customers location, can price us out of the
market. Such as a customer looking for >23 channels.

> One consideration when using G.729 is how you're going to deliver it to
> a mostly non-G.729 world. Are your not-quite-broadband customers
> attached to some PBX that will handle it and send G.711 to your
> carriers? That's going to cost some CPU or dedicated transcoding
> hardware. Will your providers accept G.729 and transcode for you? Is
> there a cost for it? Or will your carriers blindly throw your G.729 at
> their LCR and hope something sticks?

We don't currently connect to any carrier via VoIP, all of the equipment
to transcode G.711/G.729 -> T1 Trunking is already in place.

Even in the event where we do connect to a carrier via VoIP, we'll
transcode to G.711 (or other) before passing the call off.

Robert Johnson
BendTel, Inc.
(541)389-4020
Central Oregon's Own Telephone and Internet Service Provider
www.bendtel.com/about/