[VoiceOps] Looking for a good defense for a bad VoIP provider

Adrian choprboy at dakotacom.net
Fri Mar 25 21:55:01 EDT 2016

Ouch... Sad as it seems, this is more or less standard for a certain segment
of the VoIP provider market, where they practice a "drop and run" (out the
door mostly) type of install. At $DAYJOB I use to be primary (now tertiary)
for a ~1K deployed VoIP extensions. We typically provide data and phone with
managed routers onsite, but in cases where there is an existing IT department
we will work with them well ahead of time to: 1) plan a roll-out schedule, and
2) establish a separate voice VLAN and external IP (preferably with our router
inbetween) that is separate from the rest of their data. It's rare to find in
house talent that can properly configure separate DHCP scopes/VLANs and handle
VoIP prioritization.

Due to the diversity of ways different manufacturers config their phones,
building a standard install tool can be a real pain as well. We have had to do
a whole lot of work to build custom config tools to do pre-install
(firmware/update/initial config sources) and post-install (user config) mostly
automagically. Still, some things require manually hitting the phone's web
interface. Then comes the maintenance of the config files/firmware and whether
those a only saved on the phone locally or on a remote server. I'll respond to
a couple things below as to my experience... take from it what you will.

On Friday 25 March 2016 16:55:58 Aaron C. de Bruyn wrote:
> This VoIP provider walked in to several off the offices and just started
> yanking out switches that had various VLANs running on them and replacing
> them with their own Netgear PoE switches with no config and default
> passwords.

Typical for a certain segment of the market... We've had existing customers
who decided to switch to someone else without notice either: port out the
numbers in the middle of the business day when phones are not even installed
or their backend configured to accept the calls or, as you had, show up and
start swapping stuff without any planning.

> * We set up VPN connections.  The VoIP guys aren't using them.  They don't
> have time to test and/or troubleshoot any issues they are complaining
>  about.

*If* you are dropping them straight into the voice VLAN with direct
communication with the phones, with a standard codec (PPTP/IPSEC/etc), yeah
this should be a red flag they are not prepared.

> * The devices all have static IPs instead of using DHCP.  The phones appear
> to get a DHCP address off VLAN 100 properly, but when it's time for a
> renewal they drop the VLAN tag, get switched to the wrong network, and lose
> communication.

This can be a real pain... In some phones it can be real hard to determine if
the phone is using network setting received from DHCP, from the phone's config
file, or the phones web/keypad interface, particullarly if you are having the
phone DHCP from an untagged network, get a VLAN option and jump to that, then
DHCP again for the local network. Some phones have non-standard DHCP VLAN
options that need to be given in the first and/or second stage. Additionally,
some manufacturers have specific DHCP provisioning options that must be given
after switching to the VLAN.

The above can get even more complicated if the phone is also doing
tagging/untagging/pass-thru of data to a computer. Here is a big gotcha.... If
you switch the "network" (to wall jack) and "computer" (pass-thru to computer)
ports on the phone, a bunch of different models will DHCP/option correctly but
then fail to register or fail to connect later. Yet the phone/computer will
think the network connection is fine.

If the provider can not explicitly give you the required DHCP options at each
stage without hesitation, I would try to force the issue with the provider.
Either have them hard code the VLAN or move all phones to untagged switch
ports on a separate VLAN segment.

> * We were told to set up port forwards to every phone's *HTTP* interface as
> well as a forward to the phone server HTTPS interface.

As above... this is sadly true for a lot of phones, though I suspect it is so
they can remotely full-configure the phone in this case, not make minor
extension specific changes. In our setup, we use dynamically-created, time-
limited, port forwards and filter rules that allow our only our management
address to communicate with specific phones. (I.e. A tech hits the web tool to
create a link and connect to phone 3, port 8000 is dynamically forwarded to
phone 3 port 80 in the router, then after 60min the forward expires, multiple
forward are created sequentially.) But that requires that one of our
management routers is between the world and the voice VLAN.

> * Most passwords appear to be factory defaults

Not that unusual...<pet-peave>I don;t care what security best practice says,
having non-default passwords on fixed internal equipment is a problem. If you
leave it defaulted you can always update/change configs as needed, the internal
network should always be isolated and never be exposed to external sources
anyways. If you set all the phones (across many sites) to your "secret"
password, it quickly becomes well known anyways. If you set good passwords on
every phone individually, the passwords will be lost and you will have to wipe
everything and work from scratch. Additionally, depending on the sales model,
the customer may "own" the phone, so having the third party lock the customer
out may be a problem.

The phones should never be directly exposed in the first place, only allowed to
communicate with the PBX and a management addresses as needed. There are
already so many phone exploits... If an attacker is on your internal network
with the phones, or the phone is exposed to the outside, a config password
isn't going to stop them.</pet-peave>

> * They skimped on proper wiring in a lot of places and have computers
> jumpered through the phones
>
> * Because of that, the phones are self-tagging packets with VLAN 100 and
> the jumpered workstations are un-tagged which required us to accept
> un-tagged packets on to the network containing patient data.
> * If the phones or phone server gets compromised, it seems like it would be
> real easy to simply drop the VLAN tag and have access to a network
> containing patient data.

Yep... That is why we always specify separate drops (or we are directly
managing/monitoring) for phone/data. In the cases where you have to use pass-
thru (lack of infrastructure/port availability), there is not a lot that can
be done. Locking phone VLANs and then setting port MAC security on your
switches may be the only option. A portion of why third-party VoIP is less
expensive is because the customer is expected to handle/reuse existing
infrastructure wiring.

> * A quick sniff at our WAN interface shows all the calls and communication
> are happening with a server over HTTP.  I was able to capture voice data in
> the clear containing patient information, credit card details, etc...

Yeah, but you could do the same on the PSTN as well, which the same calls will
travel.

> Basically the phone guys are blaming us for all the problems, and we are
> blaming them for causing several thousand dollars in after-hours emergency
> site visits and remote work because of poor planning, scheduling, and
> simply ripping out equipment they know nothing about.  (In addition to
> making the network insecure as hell and not doing their due diligence.)

Keep blaming them. Their poor planning and setup is the cause of the downtime.
If it comes to working but poor-voice, well then you my have to start looking
internally. Properly handling/queuing voice traffic in parallel with data can be
a real challenge.

Adrian