[VoiceOps] Resporg lookup

Kraig Beahn kraig at enguity.com
Mon May 16 19:01:25 EDT 2016

Looks like 800forall.com is run by CSF Corporation, which, if i'm not
mistaken has a mechanized interface to SMS/800.

Can't remember what CSF's mechanized or "automated query pricing" was at
the time (and probably couldn't disclose it anyway, due to NDA's) but if
you compare it to SMS/800's direct MGI costs, i'm pretty sure you get the
idea of where the "pricing model", at least at the time, hence why better
interfaces don't exist.

*Non-Recurring Charges*
$342,884.00 - Mechanized Generic Interface Testing, per Resp Org Company
$212,015.00 - Initial Installation Testing, Per Interface, Per Resp Org
Company

*Recurring SMS/800 Charges*
$512.77 - SMS/800 MGI Access - Per Port

We had evaluated implementing a mechanized SMS/800 interface ourselves to
develop a CNAM-like query system to use in our regular call-flow and
transition systems back in 2002ish, reevaluated such in 2006ish and the
cost "just to talk to someone" was in-line with what it would cost to
interface directly to NASDAQ's trading systems for monetary transfer
purposes.

If the cost either direct via the SMS/800 API or through a mechanized API
aggregator like CSF would come down to more realistic "interface costs", I
think they would see a significant increase in query volume, and in turn,
overall revenue. It would be a great tool that, in my opinion, would become
more widely integrated into not only the TFN transfer process, but
day-to-day per-call transactional activities, as well.

-Just a thought, if anyone is interested in revisiting the concept,
assuming the cost as subsided dramatically, please reach out to me,
directly.

---------------
*From the SMS/800 Tariff F.C.C. No 1:*

*3.3.3 *Mechanized Generic Interface (MGI) Access Requirements

The Resp Orgs may also elect to interface with the SMS/800 on a mechanized
basis. The SMS/800 Mechanized Generic Interface (MGI) facilitates the
transfer of number administration and customer record administration data
between SMS/800 and other Operations Systems (OSs) belonging to the Resp
Org in order to support the various operations functions performed by
SMS/800. The interface is a two-way interface in the sense that data will
flow to and from an  S. The SMS/800 to OS interface consists of five
protocol layers: (1) the physical layer; (2) the link layer; (3) the packet
layer; (4) a User Application Layer (UAL); and (5) the User Program Layer
(UPL). The physical, packet, and link layers comprise the Transport
Service, which provides an error-free communication path for the transfer
of data between sites. It relieves application layers of any concern about
the way in which reliable data transfer is achieved. UAL  provides the
Application Service functionality, which performs the necessary high-level
protocol functions not supplied by the Transport Service. The functionality
includes request/reply correlation, site-to-site confirmation, message
 queuing, message priority, message segmentation, and system or link
failure/recovery. The UPL is concerned with the specific application
messages themselves.

Lastly - For the daringly creative developer types of our community,
Telcordia also has a document (#SR-4959) which fully describes the
SCP-SMS/800 TCP/IP Interface Specifications.