[VoiceOps] Phone Spoofing - Anything we can do?

John S. Robinson jsr at communichanic.com
Thu May 26 15:20:30 EDT 2016

In a SIP environment many UA's have a feature "only allow INVITES from
SIP registrar" or words to that effect.  Another possibility might be to
challenge incoming INVITEs (and other SIP methods) if the host switch
and CPE supports challenge.   (Metaswitch for example is actually quite
aggressive with use of challenge responses on most transactions.)

Those SIP techniques along with good IP access control or NAT can
substantially reduce SPIT (SPam Internet Telephony.)   Is there a
Federal "Truth in Caller ID Act?"  If yes, it is probably only
enforceable on Interstate calls, and then you need to find someone who
has the competence, standing and urgency to enforce it.

I am not a lawyer, but I know that law can vary from State to State.
Illinois had a "don't lie about caller ID" statute before our
legislature, but it got voted down.

Communichanic Consultants, Inc.
John S. Robinson, President
/office:/   708-246-8900