[VoiceOps] Plivo Offline, Domain Expired; Out of Business?

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Sun Apr 23 15:10:19 EDT 2017

Yep, we monitor our vendors. In some cases, better than they monitor
themselves. It's frustrating that they don't/can't/won't, but wanting them
to change doesn't help our customer experience. So we do it for
them proactively.

Too many outages on our vendor services have been caused by their
ineptitude, such as this Plivo outage. We decided as a result of this Plivo
ouatge that, while it was only merely annoying to our Operations team and
didn't result in any customer-facing issues, we could have seen this coming
and maybe averted this disaster for everyone by adding two config lines in
our monitoring platform and a process to ensure notification to, followup
with and closure of the issue with Plivo.

The cost to our Operations team is small, the automated monitoring costs
nothing, but the impact of knowing that our vendors are having (or will
have) issues before they tell us or know themselves, AND before our
customers complain, improves our customer experience and operational
excellence despite our vendor's failings.

It also gives us a chance to write defensive code to handle the situations
where the vendor is not meeting their contractually obligated level of service.

Beckman