[VoiceOps] Ideas for Building Inbound Redundancy

Voip Jacob voipjacob at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 08:37:30 EST 2017

I've searched back in the VoiceOps archive for a discussion about
redundancy, and it has been a while.  I wanted to spark a useful discussion
for the list, and hopefully figure out one issue we're having.

We use a SIP provider that connects to our IP-PBX in our datacenter.  We
have standard redundancy within our PBX infrastructure, but we want to
build out redundancy for if our SIP provider has an issue reaching our PBX
(could be DNS issues, network issues, primary & backup datacenters down,
etc.).

If our SIP provider is unable to reach our PBX, they offer a 'failover
route' where it can route to a standard 11-digit DID.  For individual
employees' DIDs, we're just routing directly to their cell number.  The
issue is routing our high-volume DIDs -- the main IVR, the call groups, etc
-- to simultaneously ring a group of cell numbers.

>From our research, the best bet seems to be to utilize eVoice
<https://www.evoice.com/feature/included/simultaneous-ring>, and setup up a
new (unpublished) DID to ring ~15 cell phones using up their 'Simultaneous
Ring,' and then forward our high-volume DIDs to the new eVoice DID.

Does anybody have experience with this?  Am I going about this in an
asinine way?  Is there a better vendor?  Are there other ways that you've
built out inbound redundancy for VoIP solutions you've deployed?

Thanks,
Jacob

P.S. To add to discussion - While our SIP provider were to be disconnected
from our PBX, lost inbound faxes are also a concern.  I'd then use
something like eFax <https://www.efax.com.au/web-fax-pricing> to take the
inbound faxes to a distribution group email (after testing it works while
forwarded from our SIP provider, who does use T.38), by setting a backup
route for our fax DIDs to hit our new eFax DID.  These two measures would
ensure minimal missed calls/faxes while critical infrastructure was down.

eVoice Link: https://www.evoice.com/feature/included/simultaneous-ring
eFax Link: https://www.efax.com/features