[VoiceOps] Ideas for Building Inbound Redundancy

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Tue Feb 7 17:17:32 EST 2017

On Tue, Feb 07, 2017 at 05:08:51PM -0500, Alex Balashov wrote:

> Synchronising knowledge of "calls" among Kamailio installations is not
> an especially challenging technical problem, but nor does it provide the
> redundancy outcomes you may hope for. Kamailio will happily pass
> in-dialog requests and their replies statelessly anyway, based on
> fundamental SIP message properties. It doesn't check whether they
> correspond to a dialog it knows about.

I should add that RTPEngine can synchronise RTP flow state via Redis,
and this is used in production today. So if the goal is fairly seamless
RTP failover, that's a solved problem in FOSS land.

Freeswitch has a 'recover' facility that does something similar for
dialog+media flow state.

-- Alex

Tel: +1-706-510-6800 (direct) / +1-800-250-5920 (toll-free)