[VoiceOps] Misconfigured e.164 addresses in From: field

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Wed Jul 5 17:31:59 EDT 2017

On Wed, Jul 05, 2017 at 09:29:27PM +0000, Zilk, David wrote:

> How common is it that SIP received from a carrier would have a
> misconfigured e.164 address in the From: field?
>
> We are seeing calls from various US numbers appearing with a leading
> '+', but no '1' country code.  Therefore they appear to be originating
> from a foreign caller.  An example would be:
>
> From: sip:+208488xxxx at aaa.bb.cc.dd:5060;user=phone
>
> Which would appear to be from Egypt (country code: 20) but is really
> from Boise, Idaho (NPA: 208)
>
> We are seeing this from at least one of our carriers. Do we need to
> just live with this, or should it be something that we try to get
> fixed? It doesn't impact routing of calls, but it messes up our
> statistics.

I wouldn't say it's common, but it's radioactively wrong, and may lead
to incorrect route selection on outbound legs (e.g. in call forwarding
cases) as well as incorrect ANI presentation on certain devices and
inter-network.

You should definitely try to get it fixed.

Tel: +1-706-510-6800 / +1-800-250-5920 (toll-free)