[VoiceOps] Tool To Test for SIP ALGs

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 14:54:35 EDT 2017

Hello,

On 18.07.17 16:00, Colton Conor wrote:
> Anyone have a tool that a technician or customer could put on a
> computer on a customer's network, and it will tell them if a SIP ALG
> was disabled or enabled? Or if their network was suitable for SIP
> traffic?
>
> We started deploying some Ubiquiti Unifi USG routers, and discovered
> that they had SIP ALG enabled by default.
>
> Typically we just put the Polycom VVX phones to register with TCP for
> signaling, and this bypasses most SIP ALGs as I think most can only
> handle SIP using UDP and not TCP right?
>
> Well I guess the SIP ALG used in the Ubiquiti Unifi USG does modify
> even SIP using TCP. I know Ubiquiti Unifi USG use a fork of the vyatta
> operating system, and the command to disabled it is set system
> conntrack modules sip disable
>
> We were able to turn SIP ALG off, and now everything is working fine.
>
> Would be great if there was a tool a low level tech or customer could
> use to test the network?

quite a while ago SIP ALG Detector was announced, an oss client-server
pair for detecting SIP ALGs written in ruby:

  - https://lists.kamailio.org/pipermail/sr-users/2009-June/023630.html

But that link was no longer available when I checked earlier today, so I
asked the developer about it and he made it available on github:

  - https://github.com/ibc/sip-alg-detector

As noted in its readme, it is not really maintained, but it may still
work or eventually can be something easy to fix for someone that looks
for an OSS SIP ALG detector.

Cheers,
Daniel

--