[VoiceOps] PESQ test results

Richard Jobson richard at teraquant.com
Wed Mar 1 18:40:28 EST 2017

Wow, what a great question ! J

May I try to understand your circumstances a bit more?

1.       Are you measuring only narrowband calls e.g. G.729 or g.711 codecs (or even circuit switched only calls) – wideband calls (>3.5kHz) we should ensure the POLQA scale is being used

2.       Are you seeing PESQ range:  4.1 to 4.35 in the ABSENCE of packet loss or significant jitter? – if you have say >10-15% packet loss or more, you would expect “MOS” (however, it is measured) to drop way below 4.1

3.       If POLQA is relevant, we need to determine whether narrowband or wideband POLQA scale.

4.       What interfaces are you testing from, analog or digital (i.e. [SIP or H.323] VoIP endpoint ). Testing from analog interfaces into phone devices thru h/set is susceptible to inaccuracy

5.       PESQ & POLQA values can range significantly more than this depending on the network, (wireline [fiber v Cu] v wireless for example), the devices used and whether the network path involved transcoding

This would put it in some context

Thanks

Richard