[VoiceOps] Subpoena

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Wed Mar 8 20:56:38 EST 2017

I'm not a lawyer, but I played one in a high school musical once.

OK, not really. The musical part.

The process I usually go through is:

     1. Read the subpoena
     2. Web search the law it states gives them the power to issue the subpoena
     3. Find a phone number of the entity NOT on the subpoena or the
        email/fax that sent it
     4. Call them and verify the voracity of the subpoena, the status of the
        individual who sent it AND the individual who is requested to receive
        it, if they are not the same individual.
     5. If the law seems reasonable to your un-lawyered logic, and the
        individual(s) involved were verified out of band, you should send
        the information.

I believe that if you respond to the subpoena and the individual was NOT
empowered to issue such a subpoena, the court will throw out such evidence
(and I would hope have it destroyed). You complying with a legal request,
and doing a bare minimum of validation, puts you in a good position to
justify the information disclosure.

If you can afford to have an attorney review every subpoena, great! If not,
and I suspect most of us don't, sanity check, reply, move on. Make sure
your TOS clearly states that you comply with all legal requests for
information.

My opinion only.

Beckman