[VoiceOps] Broadsofts BLF List URI Implementation is Unique?

Colton Conor colton.conor at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 12:37:31 EDT 2017

I asked this question in 2015, so I am wondering if anyone has an update.

Is the the way that Broadsoft implements Busy Lamp Field (BLF) using list
URI unique only to Broadsoft, or have any other softswitch providers now
implemented this method?

With a Broadsoft switch and a Polycom or Yealink phone, all that needs to
be done on the phones config is to enter the BLF list URI server address.
Then on the Broadsoft server you select the users you want to monitor, and
the BLF list instantly updates on the phone. I think this reduces overall
signaling too which is a big issue with BLF status updates. There is no
rebooting or going into the phones configuration file once the BLF List URI
is set.

 For an example on how easy BLF is setup on Yealink phones with Broadsoft
see this
http://www.yealink.com/Upload/UCOne/features/Quick_Setup_BLF_List_on_Yealink_IP_Phones_with_BroadSoft_UC_ONE_v1.0.pdf

Compare this to most other platforms I have seen based on Asterisk and
Freeswitch. I think 3CX and Metaswitch are the same. In all these
platforms, on the phones confige its self, you have to manually create a
key on the phone to monitor a user. That might be done through the
provisioning interface itself, but it still static adds a BLF line key to
the phones configuration. Any updates to BLFs are usually not dynamic, and
adding or removing a BLF requires a reboot to the phone as you have to
change the config file.

Example of this method on a Yealink using a Asterisk based service like
Virtual PBX see this
https://www.virtualpbx.com/support/dash/topics/t48g-blf/

Anyone have BLF List URI working on a non Broadsoft switch?