[VoiceOps] Wireless Carrier Lookups: CNAM DIPS

Mike Ray, MBA, CNE, CTE mike at astrocompanies.com
Sat Apr 14 11:34:21 EDT 2018

It’s pretty likely those are coming from our numbers.  We’ve seen a dramatic increase in fraudsters using our phone numbers (both vacant and assigned) to make fraud calls.  Then, the called parties often lookup the number and end up calling us to complain even though the fraudster doesn’t own the number and isn’t our customer.

So, while there’s nothing we can do to prevent them from using our assigned numbers, we’ve started populating CNAM for all of our unassigned numbers nationwide with “Probably Fraud” since no legitimate outbound calls are made from those numbers.  Then when the number IS assigned, we overwrite the CNAM entry with the correct one.

This has dramatically helped with the problem; far fewer people answer the fraud calls when the callerID says that.

Mike

Mike Ray, MBA, CNE, CTE

Astro Companies, LLC

11523 Palm Brush Trail #401