[VoiceOps] Phone auth for incoming calls?

Carlos Alvarez caalvarez at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 14:04:34 EDT 2018

On the security side...there's reality and there's perception.  I go
through HIPAA/PCI compliance docs all the time, and they ask things about
encryption or secure/dedicated connections.  I can say "no, but...." or I
can just say "yes."  Our HIPPA-covered clients are all on MPLS to us so we
can answer yes.  When I say "no but" on other topics, there's always a
hassle.

There is a practical matter that there are probably more threats on the
last mile than anywhere else.  Someone at Level 3 is unlikely to be
sniffing on a large connection, but consumer ISP employees have much easier
access to the data.  Downstream from there, plenty of places where there is
little security.  So "secure to the first server" does have a certain value.

Either way, I don't intend to use TLS.  It was more of an academic question.