[VoiceOps] Sansay VSXi vs Sonus SWe

Brandon Buckner brandon at kamikos.com
Thu Feb 22 13:45:34 EST 2018

Hi Jeff,

The Sonus SWe is basically just the Sonus 5xxx SBC software. It looks
and functions identically. We use quite a few of the 5210 SBCs and used
the SWe for some small testing prior to hardware purchase for some
projects. I think it basically comes down to whether you need hardware
DSPs for transcoding/ringback or not. The platform is pretty solid and
easy to configure and can use a couple different versions of on-board
policy database or connect to a centralized PSX policy platform for
profiles and routing decisions across all your gateways.

One thing to consider with Sonus is that they have now merged with
Genband (as opposed to Genband completely taking them over like other
platforms in our space) and are now calling themselves Ribbon. I don't
know what genius came up with that name. So far our support hasn't
changed other than company names/email addresses/support portal, but
I've been on the Genband takeover train before with Iperia and Nortel
and am iffy about the support future.