[VoiceOps] STIR/SHAKEN Discussion: Will it help?

Pete Eisengrein peeip989 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 14:34:00 EST 2019

>  The idea of "authenticating the incoming calls" only applies if you're
really going to block incoming calls.

Sort of. Even if the goal is to update the CLID (e.g. Spam likely) one
needs to authenticate it. That is, to do the verify the Identity.

> anybody can get an OCN and CLLI code

Agreed. This doesn't protect anyone anymore than an SSL cert on a web page
prevents a site from being malicious (e.g. an "authentic" phishing page)
So, while the SHAKEN idea is well-intentioned, we may be spinning our
wheels, just as it was well-intentioned to prepare for Y2K a short 20 years
ago; we all knew nothing would happen but we prepared anyway :-)