[VoiceOps] Growing difficulties porting DIDs out of major VoIP carriers

Carlos Alvarez caalvarez at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 12:21:54 EST 2019

I agree with Ryan.  We don't have any ports to cellular ever, and nearly
zero port outs at all (we don't lose customers).  But during acquisition,
we encounter messes all the time.  During a recent port from Onvoy to
Bandwidth, we had a bunch of numbers with incorrect data on Onvoy (not our
doing).  People who came to use from Telesphere/Onvoy have crazy data like
showing the address for Telesphere themselves, or the address of the Vonage
datacenter downtown.

There are also varying levels of "stickler" for data.  I'm in the middle of
porting in several numbers that belong to the same company, but are with
various carriers.  The submissions are identical, some fail and some get
ported.  But I'm learning that the data is the same on all of them.  In
particular, some demand that the authorized signer must match, and some do
not.

AT&T and Verizon both have some issues in their internal data as far as
both phone numbers and IMEIs.  The problems seem to stem from past ports
that didn't get incorporated into their data.