[VoiceOps] Definition: Local Calls

Mary Lou Carey marylou at backuptelecom.com
Thu Dec 10 12:53:09 EST 2020

That's a good point. It depends on whether you're in a metropolitan area
or a very rural area where there's no local tandem. In most LATAs where
AT&T and Verizon are the main ILEC, the small ILECs will use the ILEC
tandem to pick up traffic. But there are a lot of the rural areas
(especially in the old Qwest territory) where the larger towns are so
much farther apart that they didn't put in local tandems. So you had to
trunk everything directly to the end office or through an access tandem
if you had SPOP. If the small ILECs had multiple end offices, they might
have even put in their own tandem for just their area.

So you definitely need to check out the routing information in the LERG
before you make any assumptions about what rate centers are encompassed
in a tandem area.

MARY LOU CAREY
BackUP Telecom Consulting
Office: 615-791-9969