[VoiceOps] Bizarre CNAM behavior

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Wed Feb 12 16:23:50 EST 2020

We have a customer that is a book publishing house. For the most part
when they make outgoing calls the displayed CNAM is correct. However,
for some (but apparently not all) calls they make to Verizon and
T-Mobile cell phones the CNAM for their main number displays as the
title of a book that they first published in 2006. This is one of
thousands of book titles that they have published. Obviously they have
never had a telephone account associated with this title.

If I had to guess, I'd say that some entity is crawling the web for
phone numbers, attempting to associate the results with names, and
selling this as CNAM data.

Trying to get this fixed is going down a rabbit hole. Has anyone else
seen something like this and if so were you able to resolve it? We've
frequently run into stale data from cacheing and I know that CNAM issues
are hit-and-miss but this is pretty weird.

Jay Hennigan - jay at west.net
Network Engineering - CCIE #7880
503 897-8550 - WB6RDV