[VoiceOps] [External] NTP Question

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Mon Feb 17 17:09:17 EST 2020

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 04:00:25PM -0600, Hunter Fuller wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 3:57 PM Mike Hammett <voiceops at ics-il.net>
> wrote:
> > Is having four VMs running NTP a ridiculous proposition (well, other
> > than resources, which it'll consume very little)?
>
> Yes. NTP servers should never run in VMs.

I don't know about that. The nature of virtualisation has changed
greatly over the past decade; VMs have gone from being a kludgy and slow
software-emulated environment to almost a first-class CPU guest, thanks
to paravirtualisation and supporting CPU features.

And NTP is specifically designed for latency in a rather general sense.

If you're using NTP for any really precise timing calibration, that's
the wrong vehicle, anyway.

-- Alex

Tel: +1-706-510-6800 / +1-800-250-5920 (toll-free)