[VoiceOps] Area code 886

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Fri Jul 24 12:20:11 EDT 2020

In article <CAM3TTh1u6C0+uwDSWrHfYvh-y=aAzOdF_9-eqevHo93w-DWJrw at mail.gmail.com> you write:
>Does anyone know if area code 886 was allocated to Canada and if yes where
>in Canada? We were just told by an international vendor that it is a new
>area code in Canada yet I can't find anything on it.

You can check the definitive NANPA list at https://nationalnanpa.com/

It says that 886 is reserved for toll-free expansion. Your vendor is
confused.

A long time ago, codes 880, 881, and 882 were used for paid
international calls to North American 800, 888, and 877 numbers, so
they might be telling you a garbled version of that. That hack went
away 15 years ago and those codes are now also reserved for toll-free
expansion.

--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl at taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",