[VoiceOps] Update on STIR / SHAKEN

Mary Lou Carey marylou at backuptelecom.com
Fri Mar 27 17:17:44 EDT 2020

Just wanted to give everyone an update on STIR / SHAKEN since it still
seems to be so confusing to everyone. I spoke with Brent Struthers from
ATIS again today because I've been getting a lot of questions about how
many LATAs  Interconnected VOIP providers have to order NXXs in to
qualify for a STIR/SHAKEN certificate.

In case you didn't read our previous discussion, the original guidelines
for getting a STIR / SHAKEN certificate state you need to meet the
following 3 requirements:

1. Have an OCN assignment for CLEC, ILEC, IPES, Paging, RBOC, or
Wireless
2. Be assigned a 499 Filer ID and submit 499 filings
3. Direct Access to Numbering Resources through NANPA

In talking with Brent today, I discovered that the FCC doesn't really
care if you order any NXXs for your company. Brent said what they really
expect is for every carrier to have an FCC License, Authorization, or
State Certification. Below is the type of licensing each carrier type
needs:

- CLEC (State Certification)
- ILEC (State Certification)
- Paging (FCC License)
- RBOC (State Certification)
- Satellite (FCC License)
- Wireless (FCC License)
- VOIP (Interconnected VOIP Numbering Authorization from FCC)

So the bottom line for all you VOIP providers is that EVERY VOIP
PROVIDER must get an Authorization from the FCC so they can acquire
their own STIR / SHAKEN certificate. You don't need to order any NXXs to
get a STIR/SHAKEN certificate! Getting the FCC Authorization is much
less work than turning up a LATA with your own NXX, so please don't let
any DID service providers talk you into using their certificate. YOU
NEED YOUR OWN STIR/SHAKEN certificate!

One last thing regarding Interconnected VOIP Providers because I've also
had a lot of questions regarding when it becomes beneficial to operate
as an Interconnected VOIP Provider. First of all, let me explain the
difference in architecture between the DID service provider and the
Hosted PSTN Service provider. DID Service Providers allow you to order
DIDs from anywhere in their service area. They charge per TN based on
rate center and manage all the routing of the traffic as well as your
NRUF reporting and number ports. Hosted PSTN service follows the same
network architecture that the PSTN network does so it's only implemented
by LATA / ILEC Tandem area. You get a CLLI and NXX for each LATA / ILEC
tandem area so you can establish an LRN for that LATA. You can port a
number from any rate center in that LATA / ILEC Tandem area to your LRN
and you pay based on the type of traffic it is rather than the rate
center classification. While the Hosted PSTN provider manages the
routing of the traffic for you, you manage your own NRUF reporting and
Number Porting. Below are my recommendations on when it becomes
beneficial to move from a DID service in a particular LATA to a Hosted
PSTN service in that LATA.

1. You have a lot of TNs in a particular LATA: DID service charges
anywhere from $0.05 to $0.50 per TN. The monthly recurring charge for a
1,000 block in each LATA varies by month but currently averages about
$1.40 per month. You also have to figure in a few other costs, but what
you pay is determined by the Hosted switch provider you use.

2. You port a lot of TNs in a particular LATA: DID service charges to
port each TN. NPAC charges based on the number of ports. A port is any
group of consecutive numbers within an NPA-NXX block. So if you wanted
to port 100 consecutive numbers, the DID service would charge you for
100 ports but NPAC would only charge you for 1 port. There are multiple
options when it comes to the method of porting, so don't let that scare
you. You can hire someone to do the porting for you or do your own
through the NPAC LTI service, a hosted app, or a managed service that
integrates the whole process for you.

3. You have a lot of traffic in a particular LATA and want more control
over which carrier you route your traffic through: When you use a DID
service provider, your only option is to use the services of that
carrier. When you manage your own porting, if there's an issue with
traffic blocking you can re-route your traffic to the LRN of another
carrier that you are set up with. When you have your own NXXs they are
associated with your own OCN so it's easier to move your traffic from
one carrier's network to another carrier's network should you ever need
to down the road.

So that's the scoop! Feel free to e-mail me privately if you have more
questions.

MARY LOU CAREY
BackUP Telecom Consulting
Office: 615-791-9969