[VoiceOps] One device’s TCP SIP and UDP RTP audio leaving wireless carrier from different IP addresses?

Dovid Bender dovid at telecurve.com
Tue May 5 17:44:47 EDT 2020

Scott,

As per the RFC the IP for the RTP does not need to be the same IP address
as of the SIP signalling. When mobile providers do CGNAT they do it based
on source ip + source port + destination ip + destination port. What's
happening here is their CGNAT device is seeing the traffic for RTP is a
different session and they open one up for you they use one of the IP's
that they have in their pool. Since the client is behind NAT you can't rely
on the IP in the SDP. You have two options.
1) See if your software can figure out the correct IP for RTP based on the
destination port that that you told the software to connect to you on and
not rely on the IP for where the SIP signalling is coming from.
2) Use IPv6.

You can also get a phone on US Cellular, open multiple sessions on multiple
ports and see if you can figure out their algorithm and how they decide
what IP to use. You may want to restrict the available rtp ports to those
that you know will cause the RTP and SIP signalling to use the same source
address.