[VoiceOps] Update on STIR/SHAKEN guidelines

Mary Lou Carey marylou at backuptelecom.com
Fri Oct 9 14:30:03 EDT 2020

The actual fix has not been announced as far as I know. What I was able
to find out is that the goal is for every company to have their own
certificate/token and for the FCC to provide an alternative method of
certification/waiver so every company that needs a certificate can get
one.

I believe everyone will have to apply for a certification or waiver
either way so my recommendation for the companies that don't want their
own NXXs is to submit the FCC Numbering Authorization application with
their existing DID provider agreement instead of a PSTN connection
agreement. Then explain in the section that covers your business model
and area of service that you are ONLY applying to receive a STIR/SHAKEN
certificate. That way the FCC can figure out which type of certification
/ waiver /etc you should be given. If they decide to create a new type
of certification with a different docket number, then may have to modify
your documents and submit everything under the new docket number but I
don't foresee the basic requirements being much different either way.

I do help companies get set up to be an Interconnected VOIP provider
and/or qualify for a STIR/SHAKEN certificate. I also help with the NXX
ordering / Number Porting set-up and training / AOCN services but I do
not handle the Certificate Authority. I refer that out to companies like
TransNexus. I've been so inundated with new clients lately that I've had
to hire someone to help me with the FCC Numbering Authorizations. I'm
sure every other consultant that does this type of work is seeing the
same thing so my suggestion to every carrier is to get the process
started as soon as they can. It can take anywhere from 3-6 months to get
your FCC Certificate depending on what you have in place already.

MARY LOU CAREY
BackUP Telecom Consulting
Office: 615-791-9969
Cell: 615-796-1111