[VoiceOps] More Question about routing

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Wed Sep 9 16:45:03 EDT 2020

On 9/9/20 12:19 PM, Mary Lou Carey wrote:

> stating you needed authority to get numbering resources from the pooling
> administration

Am I wrong to think this is going to hit the VoIP/SIP trunking industry
like a bomb?

While the FCC did make possible direct ownership of number resources by
VoIP companies a few years ago, as far as I know, a very small
percentage of the industry has filed for an IPES OCN. It's complicated,
getting numbers routed this way is complicated, and most SIP providers
prefer to leverage the origination footprint of their underlying
carriers/LECs, at least as far as I know.

Even if one doesn't order any numbers, it sounds like one has to have an
IPES OCN to have a STIR/SHAKEN certificate. Isn't that going to leave
most interconnected VoIP providers scrambling to get an IPES OCN? As far
as I know, 95%+ of the industry don't have one...

Or am I badly misinformed?

-- Alex

Tel: +1-706-510-6800 / +1-800-250-5920 (toll-free)