[VoiceOps] STIR/SHAKEN concerns

Glen Gerhard glen at cognexus.net
Fri Aug 20 10:20:08 EDT 2021

> 2. If your network is partially TDM and partially VOIP, have you
> experienced any issues with either of them? What are your future
> concerns since STIR/SHAKEN does not work with TDM?
This will certainly weaken the benefits of S/S since the ID Header will
be stripped off along many paths. Out Of Band S/S is slow moving but may
help in the long run. In the mean time it's no worse than before S/S of
course....

> 3. My biggest complaint as a residential consumer is that caller ID no
> longer shows up like it did. Unless I have the number in my phone, I
> only see something along the lines of Scam Likely or a phone number
> with no caller ID. I find this quite irritating since it prevents me
> from determining if its a friend whose carrier hasn't implemented it
> yet or an actual scammer. Anyone else have complaints about what
> information is being passed?
As Paul said this is a function of the CVT and your carrier. RCD might
help a little although the CVT will still control the CNAM delivery display.

> 7. One of my greatest concerns I have about the September
> implementation is that carriers will get no warning if/when they are
> going to be blocked. I haven't seen anything that states a terminating
> carrier or intermediate carrier has to give a warning muchless
> disclose that they will start blocking another carrier's traffic.
> Maybe there is a hotline to call if your traffic is being blocked
> unjustly, but I haven't heard of any. Have you? Normal routing issues
> are already a nightmare to deal with. Hopefully this will not make it
> worse or just another method for anti-competitive carriers to take out
> their competition!
You need to monitor you calls for Cause Code 608s. Although it's not
always passed end-end the tracking is helpful and you won't know until
the calls are being rejected.

> 8. The last question leads me to the next one. I know there are some
> carriers using their underlying carrier's certificate so they didn't
> register for the Robocall Mitigation Database. I didn't recommend
> this, but I heard through the grapevine some consultants / underlying
> carriers did. If those who didn't sign up for the Robocall Mitigation
> Database have legitimate traffic shut down, what will happen to all
> their legitimate customers? Will they be out of service until the ITG
> gets around to figuring it out? Has anyone heard of a plan to address
> the impact on consumers displaced by this?
It sounds a bit like Delegated Certs before they're adopted. I wouldn't
want to bet my business that those calls will go through for long.

Good luck,

~Glen

Cognexus, LLC
7891 Avenida Kirjah