[VoiceOps] RPID vs. PAI

John S. Robinson jsr at communichanic.com
Tue Dec 21 09:52:41 EST 2021

I agree with the previous two respondents.   RPID should have been dead
a long time ago. PAI is supposed to be the new normal.

In addition, you need to consider STIR / SHAKEN  if you are in the
business of sending calls to the USA or Canada where the calling number
purports to be from the USA or Canada.  STIR / SHAKEN is the laws.
Regulations in the USA and Canada require  the originating carrier must
digitally sign and attest the validity of the calling number in the PAI
header.  RPID is obsolete. Originating Carriers must be either signing
calls, or engaging in other steps as they pursue the ability to sign.
Additional scrutiny applies to International Gateways for calls to the USA.

Evidently your correspondent is unaware of  SS requirements, or they
wouldn't be talking about RPID.   This is serious stuff. The FCC is
handing out record level fines.  If you would like further discussion,
please contact me directly

John S. Robinson
Communichanic Consultants, Inc.
jsr at communichanic.com