[VoiceOps] Vendor Pros\Cons

Mike Johnston mjohnston at wiktel.com
Thu Dec 23 18:48:31 EST 2021

On 2021-12-23 08:08, Shawn L wrote:
> The C15/20 series is still pretty much all CLI, despite the fact that
> they've been saying they've had a GUI for years (awful, awful
> java-based thing).

The C15's CLI is not very intuitive, being a living relic of its DMS
heritage.  There are different overlays you need to load to get into
different administration areas of the C15.  I believe this comes from
the era when RAM was limited and only one overlay/program could be
loaded from the tape drive at a time. Much of that same paradigm still
exists in the C15's current CLI. The CLI is accessible via serial and
telnet, with no sign of ever being upgraded to use SSH.  There is no "up
arrow" support.  That is, you can not press the up arrow key to get the
previous command.  There is also no left/right arrow key support to
assist you in modifying your current command.  Depending on your
terminal settings, you may not have backspace support either.  There is
no API, and it is very tedious to automate with expect scripts via the
CLI.  Almost everything is in 3 or 4 character long keywords. You will
eventually memorize many of them (CNAM, CND, CNB, CFW, etc), but you
will forever be looking up many of these abbreviations in the manual
(what is the difference between TR TTYP TERL, TRAL, TRAO, and TRAP?  How
do these interact with the THGP or STN PICL setting?).

As for the GUI, as Shawn said, it is Java based.  As such, just assume
it doesn't exist.