[VoiceOps] Fake Voicemail Anti-Robocall Tactics

Calvin Ellison calvin.ellison at voxox.com
Tue Feb 16 11:19:10 EST 2021

Today we received a notice from one of our underlying carriers that
included the following statement:

* If a customer spoofs an ANI that they do not own, the clec's can forward
> to call to a voiceless Voicemail which appears to be FAS.

Is there any legal device that actually supports this practice? I'm looking
for a specific statute, FCC rule, precedent in a judicial ruling, or the
like.

The FCC has ruled that the SIP 608 response code is to be used for
signaling when a call is rejected. I doubt the FCC or FTC has ruled that
terminating carriers are permitted to cause loss of trust and revenue
between upstream intermediate and originating carriers.

Regards,

*Calvin Ellison*
Systems Architect
calvin.ellison at voxox.com