[VoiceOps] False 911 calls and old abandoned DID

Brandon Svec bsvec at teamonesolutions.com
Thu Jan 21 18:25:16 EST 2021

Thanks for sharing.  25+ years, most  of which was hands on in the field with analog lines, PBX, low voltage cable, etc. and I never came across or heard of this happening.  I fully understand how it is technically possible ( I have even demonstrated pulse dialing with a key on a 66 block with a butt set), but it also seems just as likely for *any* number to be dialed as it does for 911 so I am still not 100% convinced, but am open to knowing more. Certainly 0 for the operator being 10 pulses should happen at least as often if not more than 911 since it would just need 10 correct pulses and no perfectly placed longer pauses twice after the first 9 digits which seems  would be much more rare.

You wrote, "I audited some more.  One of them, with a butt set in monitor mode, I heard a lot static with, "If you'd like to make a call please hang up and try again," in the background.  Looking at our logs, that one had called 911 too.  We keep those logs for 6 months.  In that 6 month period, my analysis found 16 "left-in" stations that had presumably self-dialed 911 a total of 35 times.”

How do you explain the intercept message in the background of a call dialing 911?  That sounds to me like the result of a double punched line or crosstalk.

Maybe living and working in N. California with the fair weather explains my lack of experience around this.  I am aware that many parts of the country do a lot of extra things to protect against lightning strikes that are unusual to see in N. California.  What I have seen a lot of is misconfigured or compromised PBX and voicemail systems call 911 and also plenty of user error on centrex or PBX lines that require 9.  DTMF or pulse it is pretty easy to dial 911 by accident and a lot of people are afraid or embarrassed to admit they may have done it.

Do you care to share what make/model of equipment was alerting you to the "MORE THAN 10 DIAL PULSES WERE RECEIVED” message?  Just curious to learn more.

Best,
Brandon