[VoiceOps] 8YY Traffic

Paul Timmins paul at timmins.net
Thu Jul 1 12:10:14 EDT 2021

On 7/1/21 11:20 AM, Mike Hammett wrote:
> Is there any reason I can't throw all 8YY traffic at my IXC tandem?
>
> In looking in my Metaswitch config, it appears that only 8YY traffic
> destined for my LATA (which doesn't really make any sense) goes to the
> tandem. Everything else goes out to a domestic termination provider.

How does your switch know that the 8YY in question is destined for your
LATA? I mean, you have to provide a valid path in the LATA for the CICs
that might come back based on your source TN, like if you're calling
from NPA 248, you should have that sent somewhere in LATA 340 in case
the SMS/800 has a specific cutout for various LATAs to use certain CICs
(for example, I use Inteliquent's FGD code in areas where Inteliquent
has built it out, but not in other LATAs where Inteliquent hasn't built
out, so dipping LATA 340 (Detroit) and then terminating the call to a
local tandem in rural idaho isn't going to work well!)

That's the only caveat I'm aware of you need to concern yourself with -
that the CICs returned from your toll free dip are going to be valid for
the tandem you are connected to, more or less.