[VoiceOps] Connecting to Remote Tandems

Mike Hammett voiceops at ics-il.net
Wed Jul 7 09:12:21 EDT 2021

At the suggestion of this mailing list, I started pursuing the IVP/IPES route instead of trying to do my expansions via CLEC authority.

I've had conversations with a few companies to enable the IPES services, Verizon, Inteliquent, Intrado (West), and Peerless. I haven't talked to Wide Voice because their stated coverage is inadequate. I haven't talked to Level 3 because they never answered me.

    * One of the conversations went nowhere because while they knew what I was talking about, they didn't think they had a product for that. Their rates for adjacent services were actually reasonable.
    * One had it productized, but had a 5 figure minimum monthly commit. The stated reason was that the LECs are a pain and they wanted to make sure they had a decent return before they committed resources.
    * One had only part of the solution, still requiring me to build out the tandems myself for the ILEC interconnection.
    * One had it productized and had no monthly minimum.

Okay, so four very different responses from four companies. The one seems like the a slam dunk, but being a slam drunk in the face of such difficulty, I become skeptical. We're coming from a TDM, voice CLEC background, not a retail SIP provider background. Is there something I'm underestimating in this process?

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com