[VoiceOps] Multiple Tandems Per LATA

Mary Lou Carey marylou at backuptelecom.com
Tue Jun 15 12:04:28 EDT 2021

It depends on who the ILEC is and whether you're interconnected via your
own SS7  trunks or not. In BellSouth territory you can order a
multi-tandem super group to cover all the tandems in the LATA. You just
pay a per-MOU charge to have them deliver the traffic to the other
tandems. Its not worth it if you have to send a lot of traffic though.
In the Verizon and other AT&T areas they make you order trunks to every
tandem so you don't have a choice. In the old CenturyLink areas you
could send traffic through your Access Tandem group as long as you had
SPOP in your ICA.

Your other option is to "lease your PSTN connection" through a third
party provider like Inteliquent, Peerless, or Wide Voice that have SS7
trunks connected to every tandem in that LATA. It eliminates your need
for SS7 links but you do pay a per MOU for every call.

MARY LOU CAREY
BackUP Telecom Consulting
Office: 615-791-9969
Cell: 615-796-1111