[VoiceOps] AT&T Verizon to block text messaging

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Fri Mar 5 11:56:22 EST 2021

Spotify is a terrible example. People listen to one song at a time, and
choose the songs they listen to.

Unwanted A2P SMS is more akin to unwanted commercial mail.

The receiver is required to put in effort and a few brain cycles to handle
the unwanted material, making a decision to dispose of it and placing the
mail in the trash/recycling.

The trash company has to pay to dispose of it, and the receiver has to pay
the trash company. The cost of the commercial mail is borne by the
receiver.

The A2P fees are a tax as a dis-incentive to the behavior, as well as the
increased costs by carriers of enforcing acceptable behavior and stopping
it outside of the rules.

I can see the argument that there is now an additional fee for businesses
to reach their customers. Yep. Mostly because enough bad actors took
advantage of the lack of regulation.

The market will find new and different ways that are less expensive to
reach their customers as a result.

Beckman