[VoiceOps] AT&T Verizon to block text messaging

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Sun Mar 7 15:30:47 EST 2021

On Sat, 6 Mar 2021, Alexander Lopez wrote:

> Probably splitting hairs here but how is a2p and p2p differentiated?

  Consumer (Person-to-Person (P2P))
  Non-Consumer (Application-to-Person (A2P))

  If you are a business sending SMS messages to people who pay you or might
  someday pay you, the traffic is A2P. Even "your package has arrived" is
  A2P. Even if you're typing each one, if it is business related and not
  conversational, it's A2P.

  If you are chatting with a friend or even work colleague about things,
  then it is P2P.

  Conversational Traffic is generally P2P.

> Some of our small businesses clients use a text 2 email gateway so they can communicate with customers?

  At low volume they can likely do so as long as their provider doesn't
  mind and the traffic doesn't look "spammy."

> Its not an automated system that is responding but a person.

  If it is another person, it's probably fine. Until it isn't.

> Can we assume that any text enabled TN that does not terminate on a cell
> carrier will be considered a2p?

  By default, yes. We had to "certify" that our traffic was P2P,
  "demonstrate" that it was P2P, and "confirm" that we had implemented the
  CTIA Best Practices [1] in code to minimize the possibility of misuse of
  our platform for A2P purposes.

  Page 10: Typical Consumer Operation (P2P)
    - 15-60 messages per minute
    - 1,000 messages per day
    - 10-100 distinct recipients
    - Roughly 1:1 ratio incoming to outgoing SMS volume
    - fewer than 25 repeated messages

  If the traffic doesn't meet that criteria, it's likely A2P.

  Download and read the CTIA PDF if you want to know more.

Beckman

[1]
https://www.ctia.org/the-wireless-industry/industry-commitments/messaging-interoperability-sms-mms