[VoiceOps] Government Debit Cards used for Fraud?

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Thu Oct 21 22:08:43 EDT 2021

I've got an interesting situation popping up tonight.

A new account was created, invalid email, no valid contact phone number.
The name and address on the card tie back to a 62-year-old individual. The
BIN for the credit card is linked to "Prepaid Debit Government" making me
wonder if it was a debit card sent to individuals during the pandemic or
Economic Impact Payments sent in May 2020. However, all I can find is that
they were issued by Visa and not MasterCard, and this was a MasterCard.

I did find that the GoDirect program for Social Security, VA, or other
federal benefits issues a MasterCard debit card for regular payments rather
than checks, so it could be that.

Overall it seems unlikely for a 62-year-old to need phone services on the
Internet, and highly likely that they might be receiving Social Security
benefits. It's possible that someone got their hands on the debit card
without authorization.

Has anyone else seen strange new accounts paid for with Government Issued
MasterCard Debit Cards?

Beckman