[VoiceOps] Carriers Keeping Acquired Defunct Company Names

Mike Johnston mjohnston at wiktel.com
Sun Oct 24 15:15:54 EDT 2021

I see situations up here in Minnesota where it appears that CenturyLink
is essentially CLECing themselves.  An simple example would be Warroad, MN.
https://www.telcodata.us/search-area-code-exchange-by-ratecenter-state?ratecenter=WARROAD&state=MN
CENTURYTEL OF MINNESOTA, INC. (CenturyLink, Inc) OCN 1445 is the
original ILEC in Warroad with 218-386.
CENTURYLINK COMMUNICATIONS, LL (CenturyLink, Inc) OCN 508J has CLECed
Warroad with 218-986-6.

The same sort of thing exists for Roseau
<https://www.telcodata.us/search-area-code-exchange-by-ratecenter-state?ratecenter=ROSEAU&state=MN>,
Baudette
<https://www.telcodata.us/search-area-code-exchange-by-ratecenter-state?ratecenter=BAUDETTE&state=MN>,
and Humbolt
<https://www.telcodata.us/search-area-code-exchange-by-ratecenter-state?ratecenter=HUMBOLDT&state=MN>.

Over in Thief River Falls, MN, the original ILEC is 218-681, shown as
QWEST CORPORATION OCN 9631.
https://www.telcodata.us/search-area-code-exchange-by-ratecenter-state?ratecenter=THIFRIVFLS&state=MN
CENTURYLINK COMMUNICATIONS, LL (CenturyLink, Inc) OCN 508J is also
present in this exchange with 218-684-7.
As a bonus, LEVEL 3 COMMUNICATIONS, LLC - (CenturyLink, Inc) OCN 5256 is
here too with 218-416-8.

We have a nickname for this company where we try to slur all the names
together.  It sounds something like:
Qwest-tree-Tel-Link
But trying to add Level 3 and Lumen to the mix is somewhat challenging.
Maybe make the "tree" sound into a "three"?  I'm open to suggestions on
this clearly very important topic.
Qwest-3-Tel-Link ???