[VoiceOps] SMS Spam from 77088 Amazon Alerts?

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Fri Sep 3 23:22:27 EDT 2021

It appears that Peter Beckman <beckman at angryox.com> said:
>Is it possible that some service is allowing someone who is NOT the owner
>of 77088 to send SMS messages pretending to be 77088? Did someone get into
>Amazon's account or 3rd party account?

Amazon's Simple Notification Service lets you send SMS from a short code.
The registration process is fairly complex and the code costs $1000/mo but
it can be worth it if your company is big enough and does a lot of B2C.

My guess is that someone broke into the account of the AWS customer that
actually uses code 77088.

R's,
John