[VoiceOps] VoIP Provider DDoSes

David Knell david.knell at telng.com
Mon Sep 27 02:24:14 EDT 2021

A quick anecdote.  One of our hosting providers (Hetzner) had a DDoS
mitigation tool which blackholed our servers when they reached about 1500
concurrent call legs with RTP.  That's about 75kpps in, which was
presumably - and not entirely unreasonably - set as a threshold for DDoS
attack detection.

So, Mike, I'd observe that DDoS mitigation platforms may not even be
equipped to handle regular IP telephony traffic, let alone deal with DDoS
attacks :-)

--Dave