[VoiceOps] SIP trunk providers emitting RTP packets containing wrong number of samples

Tim Bray tim at kooky.org
Sun Apr 17 20:44:05 EDT 2022

On 13/04/2022 21:25, Liudvikas Bukys wrote:
> My company (a SIP equipment manufacturer) has noticed a sudden flurry
> of problems related to RTP streams containing some packets with the
> wrong number of samples (different from what was negotiated). Our
> equipment negotiates 20ms packets, we're seeing the emission of a few
> 5ms packets with MARK bit set, before the 20ms packets start flowing.
>   I theorized that some vendor's SBC or Media Gateway has released
> software that causes this.
>
> It has erupted at multiple customers.  I thought there was no
> commonality of carrier or trunk provider, but today I heard a report
> that T-Mobile is definitely implicated and reproducible.  Other
> sources are possible too.
>
> Has anyone else noticed this?
>
> Does anyone have a good contact for SIP-related matters at T-Mobile?

I've seen something similar to this before, this year.  I can't remember
exactly when or what.  (I'm usually looking at  PCAPs over somebody's
shoulder when they need a second opinion.)

It isn't usually a problem, I don't think.   Worst that happens is the
first few RTP packets are dropped at the receiver.  I've always presumed
just a bit of a race condition between the SIP part and the RTP part.
5ms unusual.

--
Tim Bray
Huddersfield, GB